In Orange County eyelid surgery is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries among women. Eyelid surgery (also known as blepharoplasty) is often used to fix droopy eyelids, create a more distinct eyelid crease and improve puffiness or hollowing in the under the eyes. Eyes are often the first things noticed by others and this minimally-invasive procedure can have a profound effect on refreshing and adding youthfulness to the face.
If you are one of the many in Orange County considering eyelid surgery, there are a few things that you can do to improve your outcome and reduce the chances of complications during or after the surgery.
- Get healthy: Body, Mind and Soul. Preparing your mind, body and environment for the surgery and recovery period ahead, you will be more likely to focus on helping your body heal quickly and successfully. You must quit smoking several weeks before surgery. You don’t have to do it all, we will help you tackle this and other obstacles you may face in order to improve your body’s health and wellbeing. Don’t forget to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. It also a good idea to double your consumption of meals that are rich in vitamins C and E to encourage speedier recuperation. Reduce or eliminate caffeine and alcohol prior to the procedure this too can make a huge difference in your results and recovery. Create a peaceful home environment as much as possible. If you can find at least a room or section of the house that you can organize and prepare as much as possible prior to surgery, you can focus on recovery afterwards.
- Follow pre and post eyelid surgery instructions. All the clients that come to us from the Orange County area get customized pre and post-operative instructions. We recommend you follow closely for best results. The instructions all promote healing, alleviate soreness and minimize swelling to boost the recovery process.
- Have a good support system in place. Clients who have assistance at home for 24-72 hours after eyelid surgery is essential to allow for rest and recuperation. Having someone who can cook, or at least have ways to get you food is priceless.
- Have realistic expectations. Undergoing plastic surgery of any kind especially those that involve the face like eyelid surgery almost always makes you look worse before you look better. Many of our Orange County plastic surgery clients have said that just knowing that helps tailor expectations and avoid disappointment. Swelling and bruising make a lot of people feel uncomfortable about going out in public or heading back to your office so planning to take a few weeks off work or social activities is helpful to allow your body time to recover fully.
- Schedule time off. Your eyes will need sufficient downtime too so expect to rest, rest, rest! You’ll want to avoid any tasks or elements that can stress your eyes, including watching TV, using your iPad or phone, participating in any sports, and putting on contact lenses or eye make-up.