Volume loss is one of the earliest signs of facial aging. It occurs in the cheeks, the tear troughs, and nasolabial folds. It is also prominent in the neck, chin, and jowls. As this issue changes the overall facial contour, it becomes more noticeable than people would like.
Facial fat transfer and dermal fillers restore lost volume and correct issues like wrinkles, creases, voids, and lines. These minimally-invasive treatments allow people with less facial volume loss to avoid surgical intervention to achieve surgical-like results.
While fat transfer and dermal fillers restore volume to the face, they are vastly different procedures.
Triple board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ali Sajjadian offers facial fat transfer and dermal filler injections to restore facial volume and reduce the signs of aging. He can help you choose which treatment will best help you achieve your aesthetic goals.
Facial Fat Transfer
You may already possess the key to restoring facial volume. Your face may lose essential tissues critical to beauty, but that tissue can be restored from within.
People who want to resolve hollow or gaunt areas in the cheeks or around the eyes have a safe and effective option using natural fat. Soft tissue areas under the eyes and below the cheeks lose volume and tone as we age. Dr. Sajjadian can restore volume to these areas for facial fullness and a younger complexion. The results bring balance between the various facial features to improve appearances.
What Is Fat Grafting?
Fat transfer, also known as fat grafting, removes fat from one part of the body and injects it into another, in this case, the face. The procedure begins with liposuction extracting donor fat from a body part with excess, usually the abdomen, hips, or thighs. This harvested fat is prepared and purified in a specialized centrifuge before injections. Lastly, the purified fat is injected into the treatment site. It grafts into the area and becomes living tissue to fill in wrinkles, folds, and voids.
When Does Fat Grafting Work Best?
Fat grafting delivers incredible, natural-looking results for the correction of thinning features, undereye bags, sunken cheeks, and general loss of facial fullness. A facial fat transfer can be used at any age to boost facial contours, such as the jaws, cheeks, and hands.
What Are the Benefits of Fat Grafting?
While a fat transfer is theoretically used as a filler, it presents a unique set of benefits that set this procedure apart from dermal fillers. Such as:
- Fat grafting uses living tissue taken from your body instead of synthetic material. When the fat grafts into living tissue, it becomes a natural filler with long-lasting benefits.
- The area where the fat is harvested may appear smaller and more toned.
- Fat grafting is more versatile than dermal fillers because they can be safely injected anywhere on the face. They can also be used to treat dynamic wrinkles and lines on the forehead and brow.
- Body fat is a rich source of stem cells that helps rejuvenate lax skin in the treatment site when transferred during the treatment.
Are There Any Downsides to Consider?
- Some grafted fat may reabsorb back into the body, requiring more than one session to achieve the results. With Dr. Sajjadian’s advanced knowledge in cosmetic facial enhancements, future treatments are not necessary for many years once the sessions are complete.
- Also, fat transfers cost more initially than artificial fillers because the treatment is more complex and time-consuming. But over time, it proves to be a bargain.
- Unlike dermal fillers, results are not immediate but take a few weeks before full benefits are realized.
Withing our world, things move in a hurry. We are constantly busy with all things, work, play, and home life. This business does not bode well for long treatments or extended downtimes. That’s why dermal fillers for facial rejuvenation have been exploding over the last two decades. Here are a few essential facts to consider when you are comparing these treatments to facial fat transfer.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are biocompatible gels injected into the skin to temporarily diminish the initial signs of an aging face. Fillers add volume, improve contours, smooth folds, and reduce static wrinkles. Dr. Sajjadian can choose from a significant list of dermal filler products, including recognizable brands Juvéderm®, Restylane®, Radiesse®, and Sculptra®.
When Do Dermal Fillers Work Best?
Fillers are an exceptional choice for patients who intend to look refreshed. They are searching for a good choice for lip enhancements and to address specific wrinkles like lip lines. Fillers work best on patients who have good skin elasticity but starting to see fine lines emerge.
What Are the Benefits of Dermal Fillers?
- Facial fillers are popular because they are non-invasive and can achieve excellent results. The treatment is quick and convenient, often in and out of the office in less than an hour.
- Little to no downtime after injection so patients can get back to their life immediately.
- Initial costs are significantly lower than facial fat transfer.
- Swelling may occur, but not for long. Cold compresses resolve any swelling within hours.
- Most fillers deliver immediate results, although some take longer to realize their full benefits.
Are There Any Downsides to Consider?
- The effects of dermal fillers are temporary. Although a few fillers can last for up to two years, your body gradually absorbs most fillers after six months.
- Dermal fillers’ long-term costs can run higher than fat grafting since frequent treatments are needed to maintain the desired results.
- Although fillers are safe, injecting foreign substances into your body runs the risk of allergic reactions or other side effects. It is vital to choose a skilled plastic surgeon to perform this treatment.
Fat grafting and dermal fillers both effectively restore lost facial volume to fill in wrinkles, lines, and folds. Facial fat transfer is growing exponentially here in southern California. Patients report they find the procedure comfortable and the recovery quick.
Dr. Ali Sajjadian is the top choice for Orange County patients looking for a nationally-renowned plastic surgeon who delivers optimal results.
contact us for more information about facial fat transfer, dermal fillers, or any surgical or non-surgical correction you may need.
Also, be sure to visit Dr. Sajjadian’s gallery and connect with him on both of his Instagram accounts @rhinoplastybysajjadian and @sajjadianplasticsurgery. You can also follow him on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Yelp, and RealSelf pages.